In 1841 Fort Wayne District was organized with Burroughs Westlake as presiding elder. About this time the first log church was built on land in the angle between Campbell Road and the "Ridge Road", which is now known as State Road 37. Sometime later, between 1860 and 1880, this log structure was replaced by a frame church on the same site. The land where the church now stands was given to the church by Mr. McClain McCurdy and his wife Sarah (Dorsey) McCurdy. This generous contribution provided room for a larger brick structure dedicated in 1898 that is our current church home.
The church has been the site of many happy occasions: weddings, family nights, Christmas programs with the famous (or infamous) High School Class plays, Vacation Bible School, and countless carry-in dinners. Years ago until the 1960ís the Decoration Day program was held here on Memorial Day. There would be marching bands and speeches and "Taps" would be played. One chairman of the program was Benjamin Dorsey who was the grandson of the first minister who served here.
The church has also been here to serve the community through the hard times. Through wars and "rumors of wars", economic hardship and many times of personal loss the church has continued to let people know that God still cares for them. Services continued here when in the summer of 1975 four of the stained glass windows were stolen. The cross and candlesticks have also been stolen and were later discovered in a car in Texas and returned.
Since 1840 countless people from all walks of life have volunteered their time and talents as leaders, teachers, musicians, caretakers, and for whatever else needed to be done at North Scipio. United in our love for God and in service to our "neighbors", we pray that North Scipio will continue to be what God wants us to be.